Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Where do we go from here???

I have received so many emails and comments from Arlie's readers on this blog. Thank you so much for your kind words and expressing your condolences.

We knew this past weekend that this might be happening. When we talked to M he said that we are making the kindest and most loving decision we can for our sweet boy. If this was the best decision, why does it hurt so much???? The hardest part of losing a beloved member of your family is the first time you walk in the door. We were clutching Arlie's leash and collar and we had the vet techs shave off some of his hair. I know this sounds nuts, but I still stick my fingers in that bag that holds his fur and pet it.

My son is taking the news the worst. He cried himself to sleep last night clutching his Arlie stuffed animal all the while saying, "Oh Arlie. I miss you so much. Arlie...I want another huggie. Please come back". He woke up this morning crying again and he is trying so hard to be brave. I can tell. But, he is grieving so hard and is so upset. My daughter is doing a bit better and keeps saying, "I want Arlie bear!! I hate this day!!" (she's 3). As I"m typing this, my son is looking at old pictures of Arlie that are in an album over and over again. I hear him saying the angels shouldn't get Arlie cause he's our dog.

He also keeps asking if we are going to get a new dog. We will. Honestly, I thought we would wait such a long time because the pain is just so great. But now I'm realizing, I need another dog soon. The doorbell rang this morning and my instinct was to brace my ears for the sound of a schnoodle bark. However, when it rang....and there was nothing....it made the pain real. We will never hear Arlie's deep bark again.

My son is right....the angels shouldn't get him. He's OUR dog.

People are asking if I will continue this blog. I owe it to Arlie to end this blog as a healed family. We started it with such pain and sorrow with the diagnosis. I want to have the last entry be with a smile because that is what Arlie would want from us. To continue life and know that he is watching over us and will take good care of our family. So yes, blog posts will continue. Just not as often. Please check back every so often to see how we are doing.

Love and paws,
Andrea and Greg and of course, our schnoodle angel Arlie.

Kids saying goodbye before we brought him to M

2 comments:

  1. Oh Andrea, The pic of the kids breaks my heart, such love and such pain. The first days are the worst, the routines that are so ingrained in your life just no longer have a purpose and you just want it all back. No matter how long we get to share with our pups it is NEVER long enough, I have always thought this plan was very flawed! Arlie would want another special dog to share your love, to be treated so special and for you all to have the comfort and protection and joy only a dog can bring into your lives. I hope you do embrace a new baby sooner than later, to help heal your hearts and because you guys are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Pam Davis

    ReplyDelete