Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tri-pawd

Last night Greg and I had such a hard time sleeping. Everytime I closed my eyes I saw Arlie's CT in my head and when I would actually fall asleep, I dreamt of Arlie guarding his right side.

We arrived at the clinic at 7:30 and met with Dr. Taylor. He showed the CT scan to us once again and it proved that we are doing the right thing by Arlie. In just one week, his bone has almost disintegrated on the inside and he has a hairline fracture. One week!!! I don't know how he was still hobbling around let alone jumping off our bed just this morning. He's amazing.

Dr. Taylor told us what to expect with the amputation and...you would have been proud...but Greg and I kept it together (mostly). We felt we needed to be strong for Arlie because he's scared enough. Before the limb amputation, they will do a biopsy to see:

a) What kind of cancer it is. Although it is mostly osteo there may be 2 others that disguise themselves as osteo and aren't AS aggressive (i.e. we may get 2 years with him instead of 1)
b) It's a serious bone infection in which case they would do aggressive treatments in trying to save the limb.

Dr. Taylor told us to expect a diagnosis of osteo though. I said there might be a chance it's something else? And he looked at me and said, "Yes, but I think you are leading towards an osteo diagnosis. Stats show this is the most common types of cancers." 

You know the movie Dumb and Dumber? The scene when Jim Carrey is trying to get a date with Lauren Holly's character? He's asking for his chances and says, "Like one in a hundred?" and she says, "More like one in a million." A big smile comes on his face and he says, "So you're saying I have a chance!!!!"

Here it is for your viewing pleasure.


I'm Jim Carrey's character and the doc is Lauren Holly's. Let's root for a bone infection! Come on bone infection!!!!!!

It's 12:30EST and they expect to start the procedure in the next hour. The whole thing takes about 90 minutes plus the anesthesia process. We hope to pick him up tomorrow by 1:00.

We are anxiously sitting by the phone willing it to ring. Now, I'm like a high school girl waiting to be asked to the prom. I'm checking to make sure the phone is charged and works. Calling it from Greg's phone to make sure the ringer is on and loud. RING!!!!!

About to be brought back. He's so brave.



Bring it Dr. Taylor!!!

Love and paws,
Andrea, Greg, and Arlie

1 comment:

  1. Tough morning. Hoping you got your phone call and it was the new you wanted. We'll be thinking about you tomorrow when you pick Arlie up!

    ReplyDelete