Wednesday, November 28, 2012

CT Scan complete! Amputation scheduled.

Last I posted, Arlie was going into his CT scan in which we would find out if the cancer had metastisized. Well, that particular CT machine broke. So that included another day of waiting. Then today Dr. Manley (Arlie's oncologist) called to say that another center here in the DC area had an opening for a CT scan! I loaded 2 kids and a dog into my swagger wagon and off to the Hope Center I went.

It was there I met Dr. Monaco (not like the country....more like Mo-knock-oh) who was his surgeon performing the CT scan. I filled him in on the situation and off Arlie went to the depths of the clinic to have his insides photographed.

The CT showed that the cancer had not metastisized to his lungs (woot woot!!!). Unfortunately this cancer is really horrible and the cells are most likely already in Arlie's body. So there's no cure.

Tomorrow, we are dropping Arlie off at 7:30 am to talk to the surgeon (Dr. Taylor) about the amputation. Arlie will then have his surgery in the afternoon and the doctor said that they will keep him overnight.

We also had a chance to speak with anther vet at the Hope Center for a third opinion. Funny story is that his kids go to preschool with my kids! This doctor said just what I needed to make this surgery and the upcoming chemo worth it. I can have another year with my sweet schnoodle bug. I'll take it.

We have struggled with this decision but today Arlie showed signs that he is in terrible pain. He is guarding his right side and has a pronounced limp. He's not running to meet us at the door anymore and is hesitant about going up the stairs. It's time to make his pain go away.

I found this video online about a Rottweiler who also faced osteo. Check out how amazing he is on three legs. Everyone is talking about how incredible he is but they haven't met my Arlie Barley!!!!!




Kids knew Arlie had a boo boo so they wanted to make him as comfortable as possible


Seriously the best dog ever

Pillow Pet

Arlie was a bull for Halloween. He was a trooper.

Say what????? Osteosarcoma????

After we dropped Arlie off to get his CT scan the kids had some questions. It went a little something like this:

J-"Mommy, where's Arlie going?"
Me-"He's going to have a picture of his bone"
J-"Why?"
Me-"His bone has a bad boo boo and the doctors need to see what's wrong"
G-"Why?"
Me-"The doctors need to know so that we know how to make Arlie feel better"
J-"I know what will make him feel better....if I can get dessert"

So J got his dessert and that means....Arlie Bear will feel better.


3 comments:

  1. My beautiful and amazing best friend for 10 years, Cosey, a German Shepherd had three legs for the entire time I had her (due to being hit by a car before I was her owner). She got around great and was amazing on three legs for the 12 years of her long and happy and active life. Arlie will be just fine on three once he heals and be able to do all he used to. I know this is heartbreaking to you all. Sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you get more time. :)

    He's going to do great -- maybe just more ice cream for J to ensure it. :) There was a 3-legged dog in Bonn! He moved as fast and was as happy as any dog(and I'm pretty sure he was faster than the Walsh's dog Lucy . . . )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you guys this morning! Hope the surgery goes well!

    ReplyDelete