Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The torch has been passed

Before I do the big reveal on which puppy we are getting, I have some things I would like to say. First and foremost are my sincere thanks to the following:

The Oncology staff at the Hope Center in Vienna, VA. This wonderful team, led by Dr. Conor McNeill fought valiantly to save our beloved pet. We made an excellent team and worked so hard together to give Arlie the extra 7 months and 2 days of an active lifestyle. Even going through chemo, Arlie walked in there with a schnoodle smile because of the care he received. He could feel that all of the docs, techs, surgeons, admin staff, and every lab tech was pulling for him. From the bottom of my heart, thank you to our oncology guardians.

Secondly, none of this would have been possible without Smeraglia's Teddy Bear Schnoodles. I haven't really talked about this wonderful team on my blog because I have been so focused on telling you my stories about Arlie. What you do not know, is that Smeraglia's Teddy Bear Schnoodles was Arlie's first home. He was born 11/17/05 to parents Molly (giant schnauzer) and Merlin (mini poodle). In fact, Molly is still going strong at the ripe age of 13!!

This is Molly with her mommy, Beverly. As you can see, Arlie bear was her spitting image (with a tad curlier hair)--


Over the past 8 years, we have been in constant contact with Smeraglia giving them updates on Arlie. They have been "in the know" of everything from him becoming a big brother to his love for opening doors (yet another Molly trait). When we told them of Arlie's diagnosis, they were devastated with us. They knew how important this schnoodle was.

Through it all, I have had comfort knowing that Arlie came from a breeder that is the definition of excellence. They treat their dogs as part of their family. They keep up with everyone who has ever purchased a schnoodle or goldendoodle and arrange annual "doodle romps". This is an all star breeder that was started by a woman who had a passion for dogs (Sherri). She created a team that share her love and passion for the breed (YES...even though they are a 'mixed' they are still in fact a breed in my eyes). Among her staff is the woman you see above...Beverly. She was the first person we spoke to when we called Smeraglia 8+ years ago. She knew we were a newly married couple who have always wanted a dog. She told us there were 2 males available. One of which was this little guy. Look familiar?

 Here he is!!! Arlie Barley Pumpkin McFarley.

Over the past 8 years I loved sharing stories with Beverly about how her girl (Molly's) little boy was doing. She is the one who told me about Molly's mannerisms and we kept saying, "That's JUST like Arlie!!" We would laugh and then a few months would go by and we didn't talk until the next shenanigan that Arlie would do.

When we told Beverly about Arlie's diagnosis, I knew she was brokenhearted too. It was in her house that Arlie spent his first 8 weeks. It was with her 8 children that he learned the first things about love and understanding. She laid the ground work for what would be our sweet boy. And for that, we are indebted to Beverly. Greg and I see her as our friend and hope that we can one day meet in person. So, Beverly, if you are reading this....please know that you are a wonderful and special woman who made our first fur love.

Lastly, there has been a group of people that have shed tears, laughs, and first times with us. They have rooted Greg and me on in getting our new pup as well as provided strength in our sorrow. I'm talking about the forum of owners of Smeraglia schnoodle and doodles. They helped raise money in Arlie's name for cancer research, they have let me and my family cuddle their dogs when we need puppy fixes, they have encouraged me to keep my head up, and lastly they have become my friends. To all of my fellow doodle owners...thank you.

Now, onto the other reason for this post. I have news!!!!! Would you like to know who the next member of the Hayken family is going to be??

Drumroll.....

First of all, here's Mama (Arlie's half sister)-
And here's Daddy-
Together they created-






Fellow readers, friends, family...introducing...

OAKLEY MOUSTACHIO HAYKEN

Now that you are done clapping, let me tell you where this name came from. As you know, Arlie's full name was Arlington Bear Hayken. We got him when we lived in Arlington...hence...Arlie. Now, we live in Oak Hill. We pondered and pondered. Do we go with the city name? Do we name him with a name that has Arlie in it (Charlie). Then we decided...no. It's time to "carry on". The torch has been passed to a new generation of schnoodles. And, we still have a piece of Arlie in Oakley as he is his nephew (Molly is his grandmother!). However, Oakley will be his own schnoodle. He will be loved. He is SO VERY WANTED. He is our healer. 

Oh, and if you are thinking..."moustachio? Really?"  Yup. Like his uncle before him, Oakley's first home was Beverly's. Her children gave him the nickname "moustachio". Therefore, it will stick. And if you are wondering why...um....well...check out that stash man!!!!! Be prepared for some serious comparisons to those that have perfected the mustache. 

Tonight Greg said we are entering a new phase in our life. This is the phase that the kids will remember. Oakley is their dog. He will be the dog that they grow up with and form a serious bond. If I say they are excited, that is an understatement. But do you remember when I said that this blog will continue until we are a healed family? Well, we are nearing the end. Our hearts have band aids on them. Oakley is bringing the joy back to our house. I can't seem to change my screensaver on my phone yet from Arlie. That will take some time. But, I know that Oakley Doakley Artichoky (names are starting) will understand.

Until the next post...
Love and paws,
Andrea, angel Arlie, and Oakley





No comments:

Post a Comment