Wednesday, October 23, 2013

4 months to the day

Our little Oakley is coming on Friday!!! In fact, his flight arrives at 2:11pm and you can bet that we will be there early to get our newest baby. Greg is taking Friday, Monday, and Tuesday off for "paternity leave"  :-) so that he can bond with little Oakley Doakley.

The Oakster has been in prep school the past two weeks and is of course excelling. Naturally, he's gifted and I can only assume the trainers are differentiating to accommodate his exceptional nature. That's right...I said it....my dog is a genius. And cute. And loving. And perfect. Here's a video taken with his trainer, Kristi.


Last night Greg and I were talking about how we need to puppy proof the house. I told the kids that they will have to make sure their beloved toys are put away or Oakley will think they are his! Gia looked at Jackson and said, "Yes! We need to make sure he doesn't eat anything cause then he will get sick and die like Arlie." Insert knife through my heart. I told Gia that this is different and that Arlie was very sick and it wasn't a toy that made him so. Jackson told me that he is so excited for Oakley to come because he doesn't want to be sad anymore. Again, insert another dagger through my heart.

I was looking at the calendar and realized that the day we get Oakley, is exactly the 4 month anniversary of Arlie's death. I started to get upset because I feel so guilty for being so excited about our new puppy coming. We used to call Arlie "Mr. Jealousy" because as soon as we showed affection to another dog, a little schnoodle head would pop in between to make us pet him. I asked Greg if he thinks that Arlie is jealous and upset we are moving on and getting another schnoo. Greg seems to think that Arlie will be so happy that we are giving more love to his nephew and knows that we need Oakley to help heal us. I'm still waiting for the day that I don't cry about Arlie. I hope it's coming soon. October 25th perhaps?

We're coming Oakley!!!! Our arms are open!

2 comments:

  1. OMG that face, it's just so silly and sweet! He's a LOVE , oh so precious! Don't have guilt, don't be upset, this little precious guy is meant to be in your family:) I know Arlie was your first fur kid, when you share your life with fur babies, it's always a hard, sad day when they leave, it's just a flaw to the master plan I think~ every one is so special with the unique things they bring to our lives, the unique timing of the phases of our lives that they share, the things they teach us and leave us with... it's different and so special every time. I can think about my little fur and feathered angels and cry at this very moment, that is just a part of missing their sweet presence, but the day does come when you are not sad EVERY time you think of them, and you can remember funny little happy quirks and have memories triggered that bring a smile not tears.....Oakley will push you through to the end of this hardest grieving period, Sweet Arlie would only be happy that this little earth puppy, his nephew:), gets spoiled with love and attention, the joy of the kids, and the wonderful family experience that is eternally his too:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I don’t see an email address. I want to ask a question about your dog, so can you email me back?
    –Shaye
    shayewalsh1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete