Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Seriously??? Again Arlie????

Last week I made a huge mistake. I was in a rush to take the kids to soccer and in my rush I didn't put away a rotisserie chicken from the counter. Instead, I pushed it behind the toaster thinking there was no way a 3 legged dog could get it.

I went to soccer and didn't think anything of it. When I returned, I was greeted by a schnoodle with a gleam in his eye and grease on his snout. I looked in the kitchen and saw an empty container where the chicken had been. All that was left was a piece of string and a plastic container. Bones, meat, skin, fat, everything had been consumed by Arlie.

Now you might be thinking...."Way to go Andrea" or "It's a chicken, how bad could it be". Well, let's rewind to Nov 2008 where Arlie had done this very same thing. Two days later, he had explosive diarrhea in Greg's car and all over our house. Fast forward to 2 days after that and we were at the Hope Center (the very same where he gets his chemo) getting him on IVs and hydrated again as he was severely dehydrated. $2000 later...he was just fine.

I had visions of that bill in my head when I saw that container on the floor and promptly called our vet. He said the chicken wasn't the issue but it was the bones. I also called 'M" who confirmed the same thing...bones=bad. I got some prescription ID dog food and hoped and hoped that we wouldn't have a repeat of 5 years ago. I even slept on the couch in case he was having stomach issues! He seemed to do just fine. I freaked out for nothing but it was just the cherry on top of my week in which I thought I broke my hand (false alarm), Arlie ate the chicken, Greg was out of town on business, and my son needs his tonsils and adenoids out.

Fiddly dee...tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment